Katzman & Sugden, LLC
Illinois And Missouri Attorneys Focused On Personal Injury And Family Law
Call Today Free Consultation 618-509-5410
Areas & Topics

When does child support payment end in Illinois?

Child support is always a difficult subject when it comes to divorce. Many spouses do not want their case to end with them getting minimal custody of their kid and having to pay for additional support without seeing them. Unfortunately, it is a common occurrence for many fathers in Illinois. Recent studies indicate that the average noncustodial parent in Illinois gets to spend 23.1 percent of the year with their kid, which is one of the worst percentages in the nation.

After evaluating the incomes of each party, the respective living conditions and the amount of children they have, the court determines how much the noncustodial parent must pay to support their child up to a certain period in their life. There are several variables on when child support payments can end for different cases. Illinois parents caught in this dilemma should know what these conditions are so they know when to finish their fund transfers or to request to the court on lowering or ending payments.

Age range

The current laws of Illinois state that payments generally end once the child turns 18 years old. 18 is the legal adult age in the United States, so many parents no longer financially support their children after the child’s 18th birthday. They can continue to support them through college, but in most instances, it is entirely optional.

However, there are some exceptions to the rule. If a child is still in high school when they turn 18, then the noncustodial parent may have to continuing paying for support until they turn 19. However, the judge can also choose to have the noncustodial parent contribute payment to the child’s college expenses. This could include their living expenses, medical costs, tuition, books and more.

Emancipation and multiple children

Child support can also end when the state considers the child to be “emancipated.” This means that the child had demonstrated a means to live independently from their parents despite being younger than 18. This occurs when the child marries someone, acquires a job that can keep them financially stable, joins the military or decides to move out. Having a baby or dropping out of school will not be enough to be emancipated.

Additionally, parents with more than one child have to file a request to the court to lower support payment if one of the children reaches the appropriate age. They cannot start paying less automatically unless they are approved by the court to do so. Otherwise, the noncustodial parent can request to modify support based on the life circumstances of both parties following the divorce. Most cases typically revolve around one of the partners marrying someone else or getting a different job that pays more or less than their previous one. You may require legal assistance to convince the court to modify the support payments accordingly.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Katzman & Sugden, LLC
300 South Charles Street
Belleville, IL 62220

Phone: 618-509-5410
Fax: 618-235-2117
Map & Directions

Practice Areas